Surrey RCMP celebrates Vaisakhi with the community
2023-04-18 10:23 PDT
File # 2023-04-18 Vaisakhi
The Surrey RCMP is looking forward to participating in the 2023 Surrey Vaisakhi Day Parade, which takes place on Saturday, April 22.
Surrey’s Vaisakhi Day Parade is one of the largest Vaisakhi celebrations in the world outside of Punjab, India. The parade is a major attraction for the city, drawing visitors from across the Lower Mainland.
Surrey RCMP will be on site not only for public safety and traffic control, but also to take part in all the festivities and celebrate with the community.
We look forward to coming together for the Surrey Vaisakhi Day Parade and celebrating this community event alongside families and residents, says Corporal Sarbjit Sangha, Media Relations Officer.
Having a plan in place with your family and friends prior to the event can be very helpful to ensure everyone stays safe throughout the celebration.
With the large crowds, it can be easy for people to become separated from their group. During previous Vaisakhi celebrations, the Surrey RCMP has responded to dozens of incidents of missing children or elderly persons.
A safety plan may include these simple tips:
- Take a family photo before you leave the house, this will help in locating them if needed;
- Familiarize your family members with their surroundings and have a pre-planned meeting place;
- Equip your family members with some form of identification and your contact information;
- Keep a current photo of your child on you in case you need to describe them to police;
- Keep your children within eyesight at all times;
- If a family member goes missing, notify the nearest police officer to you;
- If you live in the area that has been closed, please have your driver’s license with current address to provide to police at check point in order to get to your residence.
A number of road closures will be taking place in the City of Surrey this weekend due to the parade. Police ask that members of the public make arrangements to use alternate routes.
Road closures will be in place from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm on the day of the parade. Delays may be expected for travel between 72 Avenue to 88 Avenue, and Scott Road to King George Boulevard.
For a full list of road closures and route details please visit the City of Surrey’s website.
More Information on the event can also be found at www.surreyvaisakhiparade.com.
Cpl. Sarbjit K. SanghaMedia Relations Officer
14355 57 Avenue, Surrey, BC, V3X 1A9
- Date modified: