Motorcycles Being Targeted for Thefts
2017-07-07 12:09 PDT
Police are warning the public after a recent string of motorcycle thefts in the area.
Since June 1st, 2017, the Prince George RCMP have noticed an unusual trend in the Prince George area. In this short period of time, twelve motorcycles of various types have been targeted by thieves. Only five others were reported stolen between January 1st and May 31st, 2017. The motorbikes range in style from mopeds to street bikes, but are mostly of the dirt bike variety.
These bikes were stolen from parking lots, back yards, carports and driveways. Some were locked and others were not.
The Prince George RCMP are strongly urging motorcycle owners to take precautions to help ensure you are not victimized by a motorcycle thief. In addition, police would like to request that everyone be observant and report suspicious activity to police.
Tips for motorcycle owners:
- Store out of sight of thieves. Out of sight is out of mind;
- Keep it locked even inside a storage locker, shed or a garage;
- Record serial number, make, model, colour and any special identifying parts/marks. Keep the record safe at home or in a safety deposit box with other serial numbers of valuables;
- Use theft protection devices when leaving the motorcycle in a public place. Use high quality locks of case-hardened steel, as poor quality locks can be cut in seconds. It is important to secure it to an immovable object;
- Report promptly any theft of bicycle to local police.
If you have any information about these thefts or who may be responsible, please contact the Prince George RCMP at (250)561-3300 or anonymously contact Crime Stoppers at 1(800)222-8477, online at www.pgcrimestoppers.bc.ca (English only), or Text-A-Tip to CRIMES (274637) using keyword
pgtips. You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers. If you provide information that leads to an arrest or the recovery of stolen property, you could be eligible for a cash reward.
Cpl. Craig DouglassCommunications NCO / Media Liaison Officer
Prince George RCMP
455 Victoria Street, Prince George, BC, V2L 0B7
- Date modified: