You must be a resident of Surrey to have a Police Information Check completed by the Surrey RCMP. If you do not reside in Surrey you must attend the police office in your home community.

Surrey residents requiring a Police Information Check must attend in person at the front counter of either the Main Detachment or the Guildford/Fleetwood district office and present two pieces of acceptable identification. Police Information Checks can be obtained for the purpose of volunteer work, employment, practicum, or school within Canada.

Non-Surrey residents must attend the police office in your home community.

* Please note: Processing times vary *

There is no fee for a Police Information Check if you are volunteering with a not-for-profit organization. In order to have the fee waived you must provide a letter (on agency letterhead) from the organization. We ask that the letter contains the following information:

  • Applicant’s name
  • Whether the applicant will be involved with or responsible for children or vulnerable people
  • Confirmation that the applicant is volunteering
  • Name and title of the person requiring the Criminal Record Check
  • Full address and phone number of the organization

If you wish to obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check you must submit a set of fingerprints. A Certified Criminal Record Check may be required for some employment opportunities, immigration purposes, records suspension or foreign work or travel.

If you reside outside of Canada and require a Police Information Check please visit

Vulnerable Sector Check

If you will be working or volunteering with vulnerable members of society such as children, the elderly, or persons with disabilities, you may need to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check. This check is done in conjunction with your Police Information Check. Vulnerable Sector Checks are designed to protect vulnerable Canadians.

A Vulnerable Sector Check is initiated by the police in the jurisdiction where you live. Not all paid or volunteer positions require this type of check. Your prospective employer or organization should tell you if you require a Vulnerable Sector Check. Examples of positions that may require a Vulnerable Sector Check include teachers, social workers, daycare workers, nurses, and children’s sports coaches.

The police will use the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) system as well as their own database to conduct a background search based on your name, gender, and date of birth. If your gender and date of birth match to a pardoned sex offender record, you will be asked to provide fingerprints to confirm your identity. Be assured that:

  • This is not an accusation of criminality; prints are used to confirm your identity only;
  • Your fingerprints will be destroyed after 90 days.

More information on Vulnerable Sector Checks.